Thursday, July 2, 2009

musique

On Sunday I decided to vote that Triple J Hottest 100 thingo. I'm not actually sure if my votes were counted, because I accidentally pressed "refresh" during the confirmation process, classic me - but you all know what they say. "Votes: basically not important."*

Anyway, here are my selection, not necessarily in order of preference:

TOP TEN:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Ship Song

Basically, this song leaves me feeling overwhelmed with the memory of every emotion I have ever felt, and indeed by the sheer infinite possibility of every emotion I hope I am yet to feel. "Deep as, moite."

The Flaming Lips - Do you Realise?
Who hasn't shed a tear whilst driving down the freeway and singing along to this tune? NOT ME, LITTLE ONES. Take that double negative and figure it out.

Little Birdy - Relapse
I know this may be silly, but to me this song will always be perfect. It was the first song to ever make me cry, and the first that made me feel as if it were being sung just for me (a very special feeling, you will surely agree). I can remember listening to it on repeat in my bedroom as a naive 16 year-old, and all the wacky thoughts that accompanied that experience (life, love, friendship, the future, one boy in particular, two friends in particular). I'm not so into the uber-produced version that ended up on LB's album, but the the one on their first EP gives me goosebumps to this very day.

Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (tunnels)
If 'Do You Realise' moistens those eyes, this one switches just sends them nuts. I distinctly remember the first time I heard it - listening to an mp3 CD made by David for Luke and stolen by me. And I can remember thinking: "Holy shit, this is probably better than Little Birdy" (a BIG deal, in many ways a personal "music landmark").

Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime
There's not really a deep emotional connection at play here; basically this song is just killer tune meets wacky sentiment meets touching personal connotations (good times of d-floors, and in front of my bedroom mirror with deodorant can in hand in lieu of microphone and/or hair brush).

Sufjan Stevens - Chicago
Essentially the same effect as numero 2. It's a song that makes me feel acutely aware of being in motion, of the constant rush of life, if you will. AND I DID.

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
What can I say? It's good for driving, great for jogging and a dream for dancing. It's a song that makes me feel all "female goddess, YOW", and gosh I am a such a sucker for the line: "Take my shoes off and THROWWWW THEM IN THE LAKE." If only you would.

Sigur Ros - Hoppipolla
On the radio the other day, I heard someone talking about SR and suggesting that they prove how the best pieces of art are the ones that demand your imagination, and I could not agree more. I love how when I listen to this song I don't even notice that I can't understand the lyrics, because I've basically made up its meaning entirely in my head, and filled in the gaps myself. I love how it can make me feel so much through SOUND alone.

Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
My love for Bruce was inspired only quite recently, by Ben, but I won't hold that against either of them. The love that has since developed is pure and beautiful, and this song has me in its grasp from start to finale. My favourite bit is probably at around 3 mins, when the song seems to be finishing, and then it just kicks back in with "THE HIGHWAYS JAMMED WITH BROKEN HEARTS" and you think "oh thank god for that because I wasn't ready for this to be over yet."

The Finn Brothers - Won't Give In
I know this is a bit of a wacky inclusion, and that many would dub this song "bland as heck." Somehow, though, I find it profoundly beautiful and deeply life-affirming. I love the sentiment, I love the notion of "people I call my own" and I love the bit that calls "turn around" (no bright eyes though). That's my opinion and I'm sticking it.

RUNNERS UP:
Beach Boys - God Only Knows
The Beatles - Here comes the Sun
Jesus and Mary Chain - Just Like Honey (srsly so close to being in there)
Joy Division - Atmosphere
Magnetic Fields - Strange Powers
Panics, The - Brilliant Career
Swell Season, The - Falling Slowly
Lucinda Williams - Essence (thnx caro)

Did you vote?! I would be hell of keen to know yr choices!

xx magda


*jpyl* i think votes are pretty important, just bein' bitter.
*just pulling yr leg

2 comments:

  1. I did vote, the lure of list-making being too much to resist despite my general ambivalence towards triple j, although I only voted for ten songs that I like and that I've been listening to recently, because I remembered at the last minute and, being rather anal about lists, it would take a rather long time to come up with a best ever selection (and if I didn't do it quickly, I'd be agonising for ages over which song by every artist, and there were only two hours left to vote in when I put in my selections). So anyway, votes in no particular order:

    Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - The Tracks Of My Tears
    Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Enola Gay
    Jacques Brel - Amsterdam
    Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Beyond Belief
    Roxy Music - In Every Dream Home A Heartache
    Belle and Sebastian - Your Cover's Blown
    The Divine Comedy - Tonight We Fly
    John Cale - Paris 1919
    Talking Heads - Crosseyed And Painless
    Jack Morgan (BSc) - Little Mouse (every list needs a 'quite fast' song in the key of S)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man magda what you just said about ¨born to run¨ gave me goosebumps, it was like i had written it myself and i didn't even know you liked that song! the breakdown you mention is probably the ultimate breakdown of all time; hearing bruce scream 1-2-3-4 makes me squirm with orgasmic delight (a bit uncomfortable for ro since i listen to that song in bed at least twice a week. literally i am "dancing in the dark")

    ReplyDelete