Thursday, December 25, 2008

a very wacky christmas

Well there's no doubt about it, this season truly has been a silly one, in the woz-woz house and beyond. Here are some images that to me represent the most memorable moments of christmas08:

TOP LEFT: work christmas party, tom & anna. i love this image because i think it captures the Anna/Tom dynamic so perfectly; Anna is hysterical, and Tom is quietly bemused.
TOP CENTRE: magda's desk, being crafty. this yr i decided to make some of my own Christmas cards. Most of them were awful, but the best thing about the whole experience was just that feeling of being absolutely saturated in cliched christmas 'elements.' I'd be at that desk for hours, and then emerge with glasses covered in glitter and hands covered in tiny little snowflake cut-outs.
TOP RIGHT: family wigilia, my sister kokulka. Being classically Polish, my family celebrates Christmas on the eve before the day, and we open the presents as soon as the first star becomes visible in the sky (Venus does not count).
MIDDLE LEFT: secret santa potluck, ro's shitty santa gift. My "friendship group" (as they have been dubbed by anna) celebrated Christmas with a delicious potluck dinner and two sets of gifts. There was the traditional secret santa, plus the additional "shitty santa." The requirements of the latter were three-fold: 1) that it not cost more than $2, 2) that it be humorous, and 3) that it be shit. The pictured gift went from Abby to Ro.
MIDDLE CENTRE: santa @ myer, tom, louisa, jono & magda. Our work Chirstmas lunch carried on into the night, with a crazy trip through King's Park in Arnold's rather crowded car, a stopover at the oak & ivy, and a skip through the late night shopping crowds of Perth's CBD.
MIDDLE RIGHT: gingerbread house failure, by magda & koko. Our dad thought it might be a cute idea to buy as this gingerbread house from IKEA - but of course, classic ikea, you had to build it yourself. The whole thing was a disaster from the start: i burned my finger on boiling sugar syrup, the icing was a drippy mess, our mother's decorative suggestions were not desirable (marshmellows as "snow") and by christmas morning the whole structure had collapsed anyway.
BOTTOM LEFT: secret santa potluck, vintage jenny. Here a very cute Jenny is holding part of Moriarty's contribution to the potluck. I brought a Greek salad, while Jenny brought a tiramisu which i ridiculed but really enjoyed in the end. Other highlights included: a delicious frittata from Sasha, and scrumptious chickpea soup-thing from Caro.
BOTTOM CENTRE: christmas lunch, desserts by magda. This year I was in charge of the desserts, yay! I delivered: berry choc cupcakes with alternating decorations (fondant christmas cut-outs for aesthetics vs. classic chocolate icing for taste), a baked lemon cheescake AND rasberry macademia 'blondies.'
BOTTOM RIGHT: family wigilia, kaku + hat. This is my grandfather, just chillaxin during the gift-giving proceedings. It was my mum's idea that every family member be forced to wear a hat. I think he pretty much enjoyed it.

FINALLY
I would like to share a postcard that we received from the boys down the road. The tiny cynical part of me thinks that maybe this was just drunken humour, but the greater part of me believes this was beautiful neighbourly christmas spirit. Boys, I may never actually meet you, but I appreciate the thought (and the photo, hoody hoo!).

(So I just told my mum I was posting this and she agreed, "it is the highlight of the year." I think maybe she meant "christmas," and not "year," but it's pretty hard to tell.)

No comments:

Post a Comment