Monday, December 22, 2008

wild 4 woody

Free from the constraints of early tuesday mornings (ah holidays, i love you!) i have finally been able to attend a Luna Movie Double in its entirety - and what a way to live the dream too, with a beautiful Woody Allen double, a delicious peppermint choc-top and some good people including caroline, mark & ro. Before I dive into snoozeville, I wanted to jot down my reactions to these films - & I’m not talking polished, retrospective criticism, but just my instantaneous emotional response.

Annie Hall was up first, and, yes, I loved it. I found the story rich, relatable, and memorable, and the central relationship compelling in its genuine chemistry. As I drove home I replayed some favoured moments in my mind and found myself smiling, remembering Anne’s awkwardly misplaced laughter, that silly juxtaposition between their two families (Alvy’s family, like mine, is zany and obnoxious), and that bit where Alvy describes relationships as sharks (they must constantly "move forward, or die"). Still, even though I laughed a lot during this film, I wouldn’t describe it as a major lol-fest; rather, it’s a case of finding the humour touching (or ‘eerie’ even) in its accuracy. In the end, I’d describe the film as joyous, as a loving tribute to a complicated relationship. I’m excited about watching it again.

Conversely, Manhattan troubled me. Yes I found it interesting, but I had some major issues with the female characters. To me they seemed to devolve into vacuous passivity, becoming mere facilitators or ciphers (I guess mainly I am talking about the Tracy character here). I felt as if Woody too had lost a bit of his charm (though maybe that’s the effect of the double bill?) becoming at best a little annoying, and at worst a little misogynistic. Knowing about his personal life also made the relationship with Tracy a little problematic. I’ve heard so many great things about the film, though, I’ve heard it described a romantic triumph (plus Mark's a fan, and I'm a fan of Mark?), and so I wonder if this is classic me, "destroying love with over-analysis." This was Koko’s argument anyway, when I came home and tried to share the view with her, but of course she would say that (because she's a butt). Also, I think Annie Hall would obviously be more of an 'instant pleaser': so perhaps Manhatten is the fine wine of the film world?! ANYWAY, I’d love to hear other people’s opinions on this one.

IN OTHER NEWS:
My wonderful friend Liz has an amazing blog worth checking out! It is over-flowing with inspirational creativity – watch out for the “daydream project” in particular, through which she transforms some mental wanderings into something very beautiful. Yay for Liz! Gosh, I know some pretty amazing people, it is true!

x magda

2 comments:

  1. ohh, i have problems with the isaac/tracy relationship no doubt. it's creepy, it's inappropriate, and it seems deeply unlikely to sustain itself. like you point out, she's something of a cipher - after all it's not tracy that makes life worth living, but tracy's face. but that's the point, as far as i'm concerned. the beauty of the film for me isn't that tracy holds the key to his heart. it could just as easily have been mary that he wound up with - although woody would probably disagree. but if he finds some small ecstacy in something as flawed as those weird, imbalanced relationships - well, i think that bodes rather well for the rest of us.

    manhattan for me isn't about one sustaining source of happiness/truth/beauty, but about the moment when you realise that you were happiest with a girl 25 years younger than you, or when you sat by the river falling in love with some shit-talker from philadelphia as the sun came up, or it's about when you sat in a theatre watching the opening scene of manhattan for the first time. most pertinently it's about the moment when you hear the triplets from "rhapsody in blue" playing over the top of some scene in your life. everything imperfect around it doesn't really matter, not so much.

    "okay"

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm that is a beautiful response! i was really hoping to hear your thoughts, and i CAN see where you are coming from there, though i did not get that from the film personally. i will probaby have to watch it again?

    "classic films"

    ReplyDelete